NC Science Olympiad Camp
Smith Magnet Elementary School
1101 Maxwell Dr
Session 1: Monday, July 15, 2013 – Friday, July 19, 2103
Session 2: Monday, July 22, 2013 – Friday, July 26, 2013
Morning Course: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Afternoon Course: 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Rising 2nd – 6th Graders
Half Day $175 / Full Day $350
(Campers staying for the full day are eligible for a free supervised lunch period.)
- Blast It! Teams work their way through the physics of flight with Stomp Rockets and water powered bottle rockets.
- Catapult It! Campers test the physics of projectile motion as they build and test catapults designed to hit targets at varying distances.
- Engineer It! Teams learn the engineering principles behind constructing structures made from various materials as they experiment with bridges and towers.
- Fly It! Campers explore the physics of flight as they work their way through paper or blasa planes and gliders.
- Solve It! Campers gather evidence and learn how to process it with chemistry and sound scientific practices in order to solve a mystery.
- Plant It! Campers learn about nature, identifying local trees and insects, and create their own living ecosystem in a bottle.
- Proteggct It! Campers learn about the physical properties of various materials as they design and build devices to protect eggs from breaking when dropped from increasing heights.
- Live It! Campers learn about the organ systems in their own bodies, as well as the nutrition that keeps them fueled.